Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Fluffy Lemon Cream Cheese Pie - Sis 1


When I left for my vacation 10 days ago, I had my kitchen well stocked with plenty of fruits and vegetables for my mother-in-law to use in cooking. When I returned, they were all still there, with the exception of the apples, bananas and oranges that the kids ate for snacks.

My in-laws live in a very small town in rural Idaho--so small that there's a sign when you get off of the freeway that directs you to each resident's home. But they used to live in the second-largest city in Utah, and it seems they had been missing having opportunities to eat out. My kids enjoyed eating every dinner (and some lunches)at a restaurant, too.

But I have a whole bunch of produce that needs to be used pronto. When life gives me lemons, I make pie.

Fluffy Lemon Cream Cheese Pie

Ingredients:

1 9-inch graham cracker crust (I cheated with a Keebler.)

Lemon Curd:
6 egg yolks
1/4 plus 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
1 pinch salt
3/4 cup butter, cut into peices

The Other Stuff:
6 oz. cream cheese
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup whipping cream
lemon zest for garnish

Whisk together egg yolks, lemon juice and sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. Remove from heat and stir in salt and butter until the butter is melted. Let cool.

Using an electric mixer, beat together cream cheese and granulated sugar in a large bowl until smooth. Add lemon curd and whipping cream. Whip together on high speed until mixture is fluffy and soft peaks form.

Pour mixture into pie crust and top with lemon zest. Chill at least 2 hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment