Monday, March 12, 2012

Mom's Ground Beef Enchiladas - Sister 2

There were a few meals that our mom made while we were growing up that I really loved. She was and still is a good cook, but there were a few things I like better than the others. My all time favorite were her tacos, but I'm not sharing that recipe tonight. I will another night I promise. Another dish she made that I really liked were her Ground Beef Enchiladas. I made them for dinner tonight, so I thought I would share the recipe with you. I'm really not good with a camera, whether I'm taking pictures of food, or anything else, so the picture does not do the food justice, but here goes.



Mom's Ground Beef Enchiladas
(with a few added ingredients)

1 pkg soft corn tortillas
1 lb ground beef
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp taco seasoning, divided
1 can tomato sauce
1 small can red enchilada sauce
1 small can diced green chilis
1 small onion, diced
grated cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13x2 in pan with cooking spray.
Cook ground beef in a frying pan until it is almost browned, add the onion and finish browning the beef. Drain the grease from the beef by pushing all the meat and onions to one side of the pan and then propping the pan up so that the grease runs away from the beef. Remove the extra grease. Add 1 tsp taco seasoning and the rest of the other seasonings and green chilis to the meat mixture. Mix the tomato sauce, enchilada sauce and 1 tsp taco seasoning. Pour a few Tbsps. of enchilada sauce mixture into the bottom of the pan. Heat a bunch of corn tortillas in the microwave on a plate with a damp paper towel covering them. Then, take one tortilla put it in the pan add meat mixture and some grated cheese and roll up. Continue to assemble the enchiladas until you can't fit anymore enchiladas in the pan or you have used up all your ingredients. (I squish the enchiladas in there.)
Next, pour the rest of the enchilada sauce on top of the enchiladas and sprinkle more cheese on top. Then bake in the oven until they are hot, the sauce should bubble and the cheese will melt.
Remove from oven and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment