Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Zucchini Bread - Sis1


I'm moving, so I decided to make some zucchini bread.

I know you're scratching your head, wondering how that is a cause and effect relationship, but it all makes perfect sense. I am trying to use up all of the food in my freezer so I don't have to take it with me when we move. I froze grated zucchini in 2 cup baggies last fall when I was inundated with the stuff. Now, I have to use what's left. (I hate to toss perfectly good food.) Freshly grated zucchini works just as well.

Also because we're moving, I don't have any all-purpose flour in the house, which is what I normally use when I make zucchini bread. I already took all of that to the storage unit. So, I had to use whole white wheat (I'm too lazy to go back to the unit right now.) Since I was using whole white wheat, I decided to leave out some of the sugar and fat from my normal recipe. My family didn't notice any of my changes!


Zucchini Bread

Ingredients
2 3/4 cups whole white wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
3 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups white sugar, plus more for pans
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini, drained a little if juicy

Preheat oven to 325 degrees Farenheit. Grease 2 large loaf pans and coat with sugar. (Any time a recipe says to coat a pan with flour, I use sugar. It makes a lovely crust.) Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Then I add a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you don't have to. It's good without them.

A quick note on chocolate: Dark chocolate has been linked to less skin damage when playing in the sun, AND, people who eat a lot of dark chocolate tend to be slimmer (than whom, I don't know) AND, dark chocolate has great antioxidants to prevent wrinkles. Those are all I need to know.

Divide batter between loaf pans and level. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment